We welcome you to the 2014 Wooden Boat Festival, which highlights Newport’s maritime history and celebrates the wonders of wood and water. Start your discovery of the form, function, traditions and challenges of the wooden boat with us. Colorful photo and interview opportunities.
WHAT: The First Annual BYC Wooden Boat Festival
WHEN: Saturday, June 7, 2014, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
WHO: Balboa Yacht Club (BYC), wooden boat owners, marine artists, nautical organizations, model makers, members of the Southern California boating communities, Orange County and Los Angeles residents, sponsors, local government and business representatives, volunteers, and general public
- People’s Choice Awards for the best in each category of the 45 old, 7 to 80 feet in length with storied pasts; Awards Ceremony at 4 pm exceptional boats displayed ashore and afloat from 1 year to 100 years
- Renowned Maritime Artists Scott Kennedy, Debra Huse, Howard O’Donnell, Gary Miltimore, and Kerry Rutherford
- Nautical Organizations International Guild of Knot Tyers, The Argus Foundation, El Viento Foundation
- Model Builders Nautical International, Inc. and Tadacco Ltd. display stunningly accurate scale models from Riva and Chris Craft, to tall ships and pirate galleons
- Live Music by the Legacy Buccaneers, theme park pirate entertainment
WHERE: Balboa Yacht Club is located at 1801 Bayside Drive, Corona del Mar, CA. 92625, with limited street parking. Free shuttle and car parking from 9:30-5:30 pm at Newport Beach Country Club. 1600 East Coast Highway, Newport Beach, CA 92660
WHY: From canoes to launches, racing schooners, runabouts, and historical yachts—power, sail, and human powered—they are all here at the BYC Wooden Boat Festival. Get up close and meet the boat owners, restorers, racers, model makers, knot tyers, youth sailing instructors and racers who represent the key role that ocean goers and bay cruisers have played and continue to play in Southern California.
Jan Kingaard, (o) 949-645-3345, (m) 949-378-1823 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ralph Rodheim, 949-433-9543; , email@example.com